Tutorial – How I make a Tassel!
I needed to make a tassel for my Stella Slouch Hat Crochet Pattern and thought while I was at it, I would work up a tutorial on just how I went about accomplishing this! Now don’t forget to subscribe to this blog, for more great tutorials, free patterns, tip & tricks, and giveaways! 🙂
- 5×7” piece of chipboard or cardboard (board).
- one 10” piece of yarn.
- One 18” piece of yarn.
- one 36” piece of yarn.
- 20 yds. yarn approximately
- Place 10” piece of yarn across board. Wrap yarn 50 times evenly around board.
- Pull ends of 10” piece of yarn to the top of your wraps on the board. Tie a half-knot (right over left).
- Gently slip all loops of yarn off board and pull 10” yarn tie tight, and finish the knot, left over right (boxed/square knot) to secure loops.
- Rotate the 10” piece of knotted yarn to the underside of the loops (this hides the knot).
- Take the 18” piece of yarn and make a small slip knot on one end (leaving as short a tail as possible).
- Holding the tassel like a bunch of flowers in your hand, take the 18” piece of yarn with the slip knot and run the untied end through the slip knot and pull tight (adjust your “bulb” to your liking).
- Tightly wrap your 18” piece of yarn around bulb, covering the first row where the slip knot and short end is, and continuing until you have approximately 4” unused. Knot the 4” tail to the row above, trim, and then tuck the knot under the rows above to hide the knot.
- Cut the bottom loops as evenly as possible. Trim the whole bottom edge of the tassel evenly to the length you desire.
To make the twisted rope to hang your tassel, take the 36” piece of yarn and fold in half. Place ends between your thumb and first finger of your left hand and the other ends between your thumb and first finger of your right hand. Keeping the yarn taut, twist the two pieces of yarn together with whichever hand is most comfortable for you into a very tight twist (you know you’ve twisted enough when the yarn starts to twist onto itself). Pinch both ends of twisted yarn between thumb and first finger in the hand of your choice. Allow the yarn to twist onto itself now, gently pulling with the “empty” hand to smooth out the twist. Tie a knot to secure the side with the loose ends. For a visual on this technique, watch this short YouTube tutorial from Theresa of Crochet Geek right here
The results are PERFECT!
I hope you enjoyed this Tutorial on “How I make a Tassel”!
♥ ~ Wendy
Posted on February 24, 2015, in CROCHET TIP, on sale, PATTERNS, tutorial, Uncategorized and tagged crochet, crochet pattern tutorial, crochet photo tutorial, CROCHET TIP, crochet tutorial, free crochet tutorial, free photo tutorial, free tassel tutorial, free tutorial, free yarn tutorial, how to make a tassel, stella slouch hat, tassel photo tutorial, the hooked haberdasher, yarn tassel tutorial. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.